Re: [2.6.10-bk7] Oops: ide_dma_timeout_retry

From: Simon Kirby
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 15:27:11 EST

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:30:14PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> The initial UncorrectableError is the drive erroring the request due to
> real failure of the drive to get the data. There are some races in the
> base code when that occurs
>
> rq should never be NULL at that point because after all there has to be
> a request which has timed out. If the timeout isn't being cleared on the
> error path that would make sense of the trace or if the timeout occurred
> at the same time as the error completed it would have raced.
>
> It could also be due to the fact base 2.6.10 will corrupt requests on
> errors sometimes (which SGI now fixed)

Well, it seems I was able to reproduce it each and every time by trying
to read the one sector. The drive is now out of the box but I can place
it in my desktop or anywhere else and probably do the same.

I can't seem to find a post with the SGI fixes, and I don't see anything
from a quick skim of the bk8 and bk9 logs (problem reproduced in bk7).
Could you point me to the relevant thread?

Simon-