Re: Cherokee Nation Posts Open Source Legisation - Invites comments from Community Members

From: root
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 13:44:37 EST

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 01:36:46PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:04:14 CST, root said:
>
> > This legislation Will be voted on in the Rules Committee Jan 17 and will be presented for
> > ratification to the Full Tribal Council on February 14, 2005. This legislation is designed
> > to protect trade secrets for both open source development and general public licensing
> > schemes as well as proprietary technology developed in the commerical sector.
>
> I fail to see how you can *possibly* have "trade secret" rights in open source
> software. At least not in any way interoperable with any other country's usage
> of the term "trade secret".
>
> It's one thing to be smoking a peace pipe. Totally another to be smoking a
> crack pipe.

It's based on the design of the license. Under Cherokee Nation Law, you
can have and claim trade secrets in public code released under a public
license. This makes it very easy for individual contributors to
enforce their rights in the US. We spent months researching this, and yes,
it holds up under our laws.