Re: page migration patchset

From: Ray Bryant
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 11:01:23 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

You need lazy hugetlbfs to use it (= allocate at page fault time,
not mmap time). Otherwise the policy can never be applied. I implemented my own version of lazy allocation for SLES9, but when I wanted to merge it into mainline some other people told they had a much better singing&dancing lazy hugetlb patch. So I waited for them, but they never went forward with their stuff and their code seems to be dead
now. So this is still a dangling end :/

If nothing happens soon regarding the "other" hugetlb code I will
forward port my SLES9 code. It already has NUMA policy support.

Andi,

I too have been frustrated by this process. I think Christoph Lameter
at SGI is looking at forward porting the "old" lazy hugetlbpage allocation
code. Of course, the proof is in the "doing" of this and I am not sure
what other priorities he has at the moment.

--
Best Regards,
Ray