Re: Reviving the concept of a stable series (was Re: starting with 2.7)

From: Barry K. Nathan
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 10:35:49 EST

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 01:20:17PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> So now we're at our 2.6.9-ac+a few dozen 2.6.10 csets
> and all is happy with the world. Except for the regressions.
> As an example, folks upgrading from Fedora core 2, with its
> 2.6.8 kernel found that ACPI no longer switched off their
> machines for example. Much investigation went into
> trying to pin this down. Kudos to Len Brown and team for
> spending many an hour staring into bug reports on this
> issue, but ultimately the cause was never found.
> It was noted by several of our users seeing this problem
> that 2.6.10 no longer exhibits this flaw. Yet our
> 2.6.9-ac+backports+every-2.6.10-acpi-cset also was broken.
> It's likely Fedora will get a 2.6.10 based update before
> the fault is ever really found for a 2.6.9 backport.

I just did some experimentation on one of my boxes. For me the ACPI
shutdown problem:

+ does not happen on mainline 2.6.9
+ does not happen on 2.6.9-ac16
+ does happen on 2.6.9-1.724_FC3
+ does not happen on mainline 2.6.10
+ does not happen on 2.6.10-1.727_FC3

Just mentioning it for whatever relevance it may have to this debate,
and in case it helps find a fix. (I'll see if I can narrow things down
any further.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@xxxxxxxxx>