Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: 2.6.10-mm1: ALSA ac97 compile error with CONFIG_PM=n

From: Mark_H_Johnson
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 14:53:14 EST

> At Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:21:20 -0600,
> Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[snip - back & forth on the blocking behavior]
> > I suppose there was a "good reason" for changing the user level
> > interface in this way. Could you [or someone else] explain that and
> > if you would consider changing it back (to stop breaking old
applications)?

> It was discussed on alsa-devel in November. Unfortunately, I can't
> find ML archive any longer...
>
> The blocking behavior of OSS is a feature which is nowehre defined.
> Some OSS drivers open in the blocking mode and some don't.
> So, apps shouldn't depend on this feature.
>
> We had implemented OSS emulation in the blocking manner since we
> intepreted the POSIX definition in that way. But Linus pointed out
> that it's a misreading.
>
> BTW, you can enable the blocking mode again via module/boot option.
> See OSS-Emulation.txt.

Thanks for the explanation and the suggested work around. Thanks
also to Lee Revell for his other suggestion (using fuser). I should
be able to work around this OK for now.

> > > [snip - rehash of symptoms]
> Please provide the hardware details (I don't see your original post to
> lkml). Otherwise it'll be a vapor discusson...

Details provided separately. Basically it is a two CPU system (866 Mhz
Pentium III) with an Ensoniq sound card. I use this system primarily
for comparative tests of kernels (for RT latency) before moving a
kernel update to other system for more comprehensive tests.

--Mark