Re: remap_pfm_range() Linux-2.6.10

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 10:59:47 EST

> Why wasn't PAGE_SHIFT put inside
> the new function? The base address cannot ever be used without
> PAGE_SHIFT. In previous versions, information hiding was properly
> used to hide the implementation details. Now, part of the implementation
> detail is exposed to interface code.

Hmm... seems to me that the new interface *removes* the page shift one
used to have to apply to the offset found in the VMA; looks like an
improvement to me.

Incidentally, the change allows the remapping of areas with physical
addresses beyond the 32-bit range, which, I believe, was why it was
done. Meanwhile, there's a nice compatibility function, so nobody's
driver broke. To me, there doesn't seem to be much to complain about.

jon