Re: [patch] maintainers: remove moderated arm list

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 07:54:29 EST

Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:25:33PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:54:38PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

[...]

> > > In my experience, the best solution is a list policy that allows
> > > subscribers to post and requires moderator approval for non-members.
> > > This policy that is already used by several lists listed in MAINTAINERS
> > > is IMHO a good compromise between avoiding spam and allowing
> > > non-subscribers to post to the list.

> > Well, that's precisely what happens with these lists - your post ends
> > up in the moderator approval queue. They do generally find their way
> > from there into the appropriate peoples mailboxes (iow, mine).

> OK, sorry, my comment was wrong.
>
> I confused moderated with subscribers-only .

Subscribers-only lists hold messages from non-subscribers for owner
approval. She might just axe them (o have them automatically axed), or
forward them to the list, or let them sleep for a long time.

In any case, none of this is really relevant: Per the laws, if your message
is forwarded to the list (automatically or by hand) you must have consented
to it being published, and that means extra hassle for the list owner. She
might just throw messages away for this reason.

Perhaps the best solution would be to add a line consenting to the
publication of the message in any lists? Doesn't hurt much...