Re: 2.6.10-bkcurr: major slab corruption preventing booting on ARM

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 21:05:25 EST

Russell King wrote:
On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:10:49PM +0000, Russell King wrote:

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 02:43:50PM +0000, Russell King wrote:

I've had a report from a fellow ARM hacker of their platform not
booting. After they turned on slab debugging, they saw (pieced
together from a report on IRC):

Freeing init memory: 104K
run_init_process(/bin/bash)
Slab corruption: start=c0010934, len=160
Last user: [<c00adc54>](d_alloc+0x28/0x2d8)

I've just run up 2.6.10-bkcurr on a different ARM platform, and
encountered the following output. It looks like there's serious
slab corruption issues in these kernels.

I'll dig a little further into the report below to see if there's
anything obvious.

Ok, reverting the pud_t patch fixes both these problems (the exact
patch can be found at: http://www.home.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/misc/bk4-bk5
Note that this is not a plain bk4-bk5 patch, but just the pud_t
changes brought forward to bk6 or there abouts.)

So, something in the 4 level page table patches is causing random
scribbling in kernel memory.

Ok, I've narrowed the problem down to something in the following patch.
Andi Kleen suggests that maybe the ARM FIRST_USER_PGD_NR got broken in
by something here. Nick, any ideas?

I see you've had a fix commited to -bk? Yes that looks like it would
cause the problems you are seeing.

Thanks,
Nick