Re: Very high load on P4 machines with 2.4.28

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 20:13:22 EST

On Maw, 2005-01-04 at 22:41, Nicholas Berry wrote:
> Indeed. AIX (sorry) 5.3 on POWER5 explicitly disables SMT (IBM
> hyperthreading) if the load doesn't warrant it.
>
> (Now how about that for Linux?) :)

It would be very nice to do but AFAIK no current processor with
hypedthreading lets you do dynamic disabling. We do try and land tasks
on the real processors before other SMT threads and to leave the other
threads idle. I'm not sure we could do much more unless flipping the
cache control bits on packages when idle is a win (which I doubt)