APM vs. ACPI, janitor wanted? [was Re: starting with 2.7]

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 17:30:03 EST

Hi!

> > Go ahead and become APM maintainer... APM needs some care.
> >
> > Problem is that ACPI needs driver model changes, and those affect APM
> > too. But noone is using APM these days, so when something breaks
> > there, it takes long to discover.
>
> I wouldn't try it if ACPI support worked on my machines, and I really
> wasn't suggesting that effort should go into APM so much as refuting the
> notion that people could just use ACPI. I would rather see resources go
> into ACPI, as I would be delighted to move into the future.

Actually, *lot* of people are working on ACPI (like 4 full-time
equivalents or something). I'd be surprised if APM got tenth of that
work. So someone hacking APM one hour once a week could do quite a lot
of difference. Same ammount of work on ACPI is going to be barely
visible.
Pavel
"It is easy to become APM hero" ;-).