Re: [linux-dvb-maintainer] PATCH: DVB bt8xx in 2.6.10

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 13:13:57 EST

Arne Ahrend wrote:
> This patch allows the user to select only actually desired frontend driver(s) for
> bt8xx based DVB cards by removing calls to frontend-specific XXX_attach()
> functions and returning NULL instead for unconfigured frontends.
>
> To keep this patch small, no attempt is made to #ifdef away other static functions or data
> for unselected frontends. This leads to compiler warnings about defined, but unused
> code, unless all four frontends relevant to bt8xx based cards are selected.
>
> I have tested this on the Avermedia 771 (the only DVB card I have access to).

This approach has been discussed on the linux-dvb list and was rejected
because of the huge #ifdef mess it creates (you just touched bt8xx, it's
even worse for saa7146 based cards). The frontend drivers are
tiny so I think you can afford to load some that aren't actually
used by your hardware.

Johannes