Re: starting with 2.7

From: Indrek Kruusa
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 11:13:46 EST

On 4 Jan 2005, at 07:36, Al Viro wrote:

> > > So buy some Operating System that supports the propritary software of
> > > your choice but stop annoying us.
> >
> > That's what he did. But it was not written in the notice that it could stop
> > working at any time :-)
>

> Do you want a long list of message-IDs going way, way back? Ones of Linus'
> postings saying that there never had been any promise whatsoever of in-kernel
> interfaces staying unchanged...

Eh? "you should avoid Linux - experimental project indeed!". Sad, but this is almost true already: can you name the stable version of the kernel which is in main public use? When I take a look from distros then:

Mandrake 10.2 snapshot (Cooker): kernel-2.6.8.1.20mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

SuSe (SRPM for new 9.2): kernel-source-2.6.8-24.src.rpm

Fedora (update for FC3): kernel-2.6.9-1.724_FC3.i686.rpm

And inside proper .src.rpm-s are lot of stuff. So how those fixes inside 2.6.10 will reach the end-user? 2.6.[x < 10] + patch+patch+patch...

It means that for end user (me) the stable kernel 2.6.10 is not just usable. And of course I will not test any vanilla kernel because my MIDI programs-devices/USB gadgets/connect+point+and+click will usually stop working by reasons which are not bug but implementation related. So what I should report to my distro provider? Please recode this program because i am keen to test newest kernel? But how then should I provide my help with kernel testing?

Maybe you need to set up a pool of patches with full detailed information:
- bug fixes
- security related fixes
- feature changes
- status flag: test/stable
- dependencies :)

This is what is needed - how and when a 2.6.x stable kernel will have released (strategy of kernel development) is not a question at all. Vanilla kernel will never reach end-users anyway.
OK, don't take it too seriously :)

regards,
Indrek