Re: starting with 2.7

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 05:24:36 EST

On 4 Jan 2005, at 07:36, Al Viro wrote:

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 06:46:49AM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 10:14:42PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Gosh! I bought an ATI video card, I bought a VMware license, etc.... I
want to keep using them. Changing a "stable" kernel will continuously
annoy users and vendors.

So buy some Operating System that supports the propritary software of
your choice but stop annoying us.

That's what he did. But it was not written in the notice that it could stop
working at any time :-)

Do you want a long list of message-IDs going way, way back? Ones of Linus'
postings saying that there never had been any promise whatsoever of in-kernel
interfaces staying unchanged...

I don't pretend that kernel interfaces stay written in stone, for ages. What I would like is that, at least, those interfaces were stable enough, let's say for a few months for a stable kernel series, so I don't have to keep bothering my propietary VMWare vendor to fix the problems for me, since the new kernel interface broke VMWare. Yeah, I know I could decide not to upgrade kernels in last instance, but that's not always possible.

If kernel interfaces need to be changed for whatever reason, change them in 2.7, -mm, -ac or whatever tree first, and let the community know beforehand what those changes will be, and be prepared to adapt. Meanwhile, try to leave 2.6 as stable as possible.