Re[2]: starting with 2.7

From: Maciej Soltysiak
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 15:55:25 EST

Hello William,

> I have a plan to never ever stop experimental code, which is to
> actually move on the 2.6.x.y strategy if no one else does and these
> kinds of complaints remain persistent and become more widespread.
Well, personally I like the 2.6.x.y idea.

> There is a standard. Breaking things and hoping someone cleans up
> later doesn't work. So it has to be stable all the time anyway, and
> this is one of the observations upon which the "2.6 forever" theme is
> based.
Hm, now that I think about it, it has an advantage. eg. No problems
for other people with maintaining code for 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, ...

Anyway, starting with other trees like 2.7 sends a signal to people, that
something huge is going to happen. Like totally new ideas that require
to change the APIs, rewrite all the drivers (I know nobody likes that, really)
etc...

I was asking If something like this is about to happen.
Is a stockpile of things like this building up?

--
Maciej