Re: printk loglevel policy?

From: Jim Nelson
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 14:02:20 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Gwe, 2004-12-31 at 02:20, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

Hi all,

Recently, I've seen a lot of add loglevel to printk patches. grep 'printk("' -r | wc shows me 2433. There are probably 2433 printk
need to patch, is it? What's this printk loglevel policy, all these

You would need to work out which were at the start of a newline - most
of them are probably just fine and valid

That reminds me of a question I've had inthe back of my head. When you have a SMP system wouldn't it be possible to have:

CPU 1 (running func1) CPU 2 (running func2)
| |
printk ("foo..."); |
| printk ("bleh\n");
printk ("finished\n); |
printk ("readout from bleh\n";

Is that possible? Especially if the process on CPU 1 slept on a semaphore or something similar?

Or does printk() do some tracking that I didn't see as to where in the kernel the strings are coming from?