Re: PATCH: 2.6.10 - Misrouted IRQ recovery for review

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 12:36:45 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
I saw this message coming out of ac2 with my runaway IRQ 18 problem, so I tried irqpoll, and it just "went away" beyond sysreq or other gentle recovery.

That means that the cause of the IRQ that hung your machine was not one
we had any driver for. Thats generally BIOS bogosities on a large scale.
The irqpoll code can recover from cases where an IRQ turns up on the
wrong IRQ line but for a registered driver and when an IRQ fails to turn
up in which case the timer tick picks it up on x86 (which may or may not
make it "useful").

I suspect that the problem lies in sharing the shared IRQ, and that polling doesn't solve the problem, just changes it to a hang witing for the misrouted IRQ. Still poking for the real cause, no patch or anything, but acpi={off,ht}, noapic, pci=routeirq, etc have no benefit (for me).

That wouldn't really fit how the hardware works. You appear to have some
unsupported device connected to that line and asserting IRQ right from
boot.

I cautiously say I don't think that's the case. I can boot and run in console mode for hours, as long as I don't do anything which accesses the DVD burner master on ide1. Both drives on ide0 work fine, network works, audio works, etc.

The instant I use hdc (which *is* IRQ shared with ide0) I get the storm and it continues until reboot. I have tried about every acpi=, pci=, and noapic option I can find, without success. However, some options do move the IRQ for both ide interfaces to IRQ 11, where the behaviour is identical.

Under 2.4.22 from FC1 it all works fine. I do use a vaimraid driver in 2.4 (taints kernel), but everything works fine with or without it loaded, and the VIAraid comes up on another IRQ in any case.

Feel free to tell me this could still be another device, but it behaves as if it were the ide1 (DVD) access. Oh, I did try making ide1=nodma without change.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc