Re: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and Intel Pro/1000

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 15:21:37 EST

Terry Hardie wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Terry Hardie wrote:

Well, this has been plauging me for months, and finally figured it out.

Any 2.6 kernel on my board, would boot, then give errors (paraphrased,
sorry) when I tried to bring up the ethernet:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
IRQ #18: Nobody cared!

And no ethernet conectivity.

The Fix: Update bios from asus' website. I guess their ACPI was screwed
up. This is the second time I've had to update this MB to fix
incompatibilities with Linux. So, watch out with Asus boards on Linux.

BTW - Linux 2.4's driver worked fine with the old bios. Only 2.6 didn't
work.

Some additional info, I've been investigating this for a few hours, and
it appears that (a) IRQ 18 on my system is shared by ide0 and ide1, and
that the IRQ storm seems to start the first time I use ide1 (DVD only).

I will be posting a bunch of dmesg results when/if the system reboots,
but acpi={off,ht} doesn't help, pollirq doesn't help, and system
shutdown leaves the system unbootable without a full (pull the power
cord) hardware power cycle.

Questions:
1 - do you have trouble rebooting after a failure?

Since I flashed my bios, no more problems, so I've had no more failures

I hesitate to try that, since the web page says you must use "real DOS" and gives instructions for creating the FD using that. Since I lack both DOS and a floppy, that does present problems...

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc