Re: Fwd: Toshiba PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 12:05:05 EST

On Thursday 30 December 2004 11:07 am, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:23:36 +0000 (UTC), Henning P. Schmiedehausen
> <hps@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This might be a touchpad that simulates the scroll wheel on the right
> > side and horizontal scrolling on the bottom.
> >
> > Does your touchpad emit mouse button events when touching on the
> > right / bottom side?
> >
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite with another touchpad (a Synaptics) and
> > this can be programmed to do so. I'd think that Toshiba noadays uses
> > touchpads that have this hard-coded (maybe there is a command to turn
> > this on/off).
> I have a ThinkPad T42 that can do this, as well, and this is what I
> thought when I first encountered this problem. However, I've had this
> Gateway laptop since about 1999 and it hasn't done this since. Not in
> 2.2 or 2.4.
>
> Also, like I said, xev produced no output when I touched and dragged
> in the offending areas.
>
> If this really is an added feature and there's a way to turn it off,
> that would be okay. Having it off by default would be best since it's
> seemingly a changed behavior between one kernel version and another
> (also, I hate that feature :) ).

Yes, you can. Booting with psmouse.proto=bare will force the touchpad
into standard PS/2 mode. You may also try booting with
psmouse.proto=imps and psmouse.proto=exps - maybe one of these 2 will
give you virtual scrolling.

If psmouse is compiled as a module you will have to add

options psmouse proto=bare

to your /etc/modprobe.conf

Btw, what device/protocol are you using in X? I'd advise setting it
to "dev/input/mice" and "ExplorerPS/2" so if your touchad is indeed
sending scroll events X would use them. Could you post your config,
please?

Thanks!

--
Dmitry