Re: waiting 10s before mounting root filesystem?

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 14:37:18 EST

William Park wrote:
[...]
I read Documentation/initrd.txt and I don't understand it. If I
understand it right, I have to build a complete root filesystem with all
the stuffs necessary for mounting the second (real) root filesystem. If
I'm loading the kernel from floppy, then I only have 200k to work with.
I'll try initrd.txt, step by step over the holidays.

Yes, but if you use "nash" as a script parser and compile everything you need static with dietlibc or uClibc (or some other small libc replacement), 200k will be plenty to accomplish what you want. You'll probably be able to find pre-compiled binaries like these on the net, if you search for them.

Of course this is much more work than simply patch the kernel to wait a little, but with this training you'll be able to handle similar situations in the future were there is no patch to solve them.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu