Re: DVD-RW writes but doesn't read

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 03:59:30 EST

Norbert van Nobelen wrote:
Did you try one of the disks you have written with it in another dvdplayer yet?

If the written dvds really work, then it is clearly a miracle (-:. The first thing the drive does, is a read action to see if it has an empty disc or something like multisession. If the drive reading is so terrible, that action should fail most of the time too.

Every DVD and CD is perfect. I've burnt about 20.

Con

Hi Jens et al

I have a laptop DVD-RW that is working fine when burning but has endless
streams of errors with any kernel I try when trying to read anything
(cd/dvd audio/video/data).

hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x50
ide: failed opcode was 100
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 571832
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 71479

If I'm persistent I can read the data off the drive but I'll probably
kill the drive in the process. It doesn't matter what iosched I use but I
use cfq by default. I've tried disabling dma and so on without success. Any
ideas?