Query on module dependency handling in IrDA network drivers

From: manjunathg.kondaiah
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 23:47:06 EST

Greetings All,

This is with reference to handling of module dependencies in IrDA
network drivers on 2.6.10-rc3.

My understanding is that the lower most drivers (in the IrDA stack which
will be platform dependent) should not be doing a try_module_get or a
module_put in itself. My device however is not a hot-pluggable device,
but I would like to dynamically load and unload the lower layer IrDA
driver. If I am not using try_module_get in my lower layer driver, the
issue that I am facing is: When the irda0 (in my case) is up and data is
under transmission and I do an rmmod of the lower layer driver, the
driver is being removed (the transfer stops meanwhile). This does not
seem to be a proper behavior (If this is an expected behavior, could
some one explain why this is so?). I would rather expect the rmmod to
tell me that the module is busy and refuse to remove the module.

Regards,
Manjunath