Re: Gurus, a silly question for preemptive behavior

From: jesse
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 18:09:09 EST

--- Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> jesse wrote:
> > Paulo:
> >
> > I already said in the messsage that my user
> space
> > application has a low nice priority, i set it to
> 10.
> > since my application has low priority compared to
> > other user space applications, it is supposed to
> be
> > interrupted. but it is not.
>
> If your task is better priority the scheduler will
> make it preempt the
> worse priority task. It sounds to me like you are
> complaining that the
> worse priority task is still getting cpu? If so, you
> misunderstand
> priority - it orders tasks according to priority
> giving lower latency
> and preemptive behaviour to the better task, and
> gives _more_ cpu but
> not all the cpu. The cpu must still be shared, but
> with more cpu
> distributed to the better priority task. If you want
> your better
> priority task to get _all_ the cpu you have to use
> real time scheduling.
>
> Cheers,
> Con

ok, Con, your explaining makes some sense to me , but
still not very well.

suppose I have five high process: A1, A2, A3, A4,
A5 all have nice = 0. and I also have a low priority
process B with nice = 10.

a) when process B is scheduled to run, it is given
a short time slot based on its priority, for example 5
secs. because at that point, A1/2/3/4/5 are not
started yet. B will get CPU and run at full speed.
b) at the end of time slot(5 secs), scheduler
finds higher priority A1/A2/A3/A4/A5 are ready,
scheduler will interrupt process B and starts to pick
a process from group A, even though B still needs CPU
cycle.
c)unfortunately, process A1/2/3/4/5 are so active,
thus process B should never get opportunity to run
again, in consequence, CPU Usage% of Process B should
be very Low.

However, The above theretic assumption is in
contrary to what i observed. in my LAB, the low
priority process B seems to hold the CPU forever and
Top command always shows Process B with a 90% CPU
usage.

If _more_ cpu but not _all_ the cpu are given to
Process A1/2/3/4/5, Process B shouldn't have a 90% CPU
usage.

Thus, i can't help asking why low priority process B
gets most CPU cycle.

thanks in advance.

jesse