Re: [2.6 patch] ieee1394_core.c: remove unneeded EXPORT_SYMBOL's

From: Arne Caspari
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 07:51:39 EST

Adrian Bunk schrieb:

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:33:45AM +0100, Arne Caspari wrote:

I would take it like in a library: The API should not change between minor versions - likewise it should be stable in the kernel among all 2.6.x versions. If it changes to version 2.7.x or 2.8.x it would be OK since we could release a driver for a 2.8.x tree then.

The current development model published by Linus Torvalds and
Andrew Morton is that there will be no 2.7.x in the forseeable future, but instead the changes that would go into a 2.7 series go into the 2.6 series...

To make a long decision short:

There is no stable kernel API that an external developer can rely on?
And this is by intent: The only way for a vendor to write a driver for Linux is to submit it to the kernel tree?

/Arne