Error - Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)

From: selvakumar nagendran
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 05:36:41 EST

I installed the latest stable 2.6.9 kernel in my
system. When I rebooted the system with the kernel it
showed the following error.

"Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS:unable to mount
root fs on unknown block (3,1)"

What is the solution to get rid of this error?
What is the measure to prevent such errors in the
future?
I downloaded the kernel source tar ball from
kernel.org
Can anyone help me regarding this?

Thanks,
selva