Re: loading modules at kernel startup

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 05:14:30 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 10:37 +0100, Alex Riesen wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:44:23 +0530, linux lover
> <linux.lover2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > How to load own kernel modules just after eth0
> > interface is brought up?
> > I want to load kernel module as soon as networking part of kenrel
> > starts.

This usually depends on your distribution.

> Look at udev and hotplug
>
> > I dont want to loose any packets that travels on my linux
> > machine.
>
> You'll always loose something: there will be a gap between activating
> of the network interface and running of your module (or sniffer, as it sounds).

Not if you do all on "activating the network interface" except "ip link
set eth<x> up".
Usually this means patching your distributions network startup scripts
and/or hooking in the firewall-rule-startup-script (where you basically
have the same problem).

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55