Re: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task

From: Mikhail Ramendik
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 20:48:53 EST

Voluspa wrote:

> >This patch should have the desired effect.
>
> Yes, it sure has. And with that I mean, YES. My testcase shows no freezes
> now, and it has the same swapping time as 2.6.8.1-bk2.

Confirmed.

On 2.6.10-rc3 with Con's patch, when I run the memory eater, there is a high
kswapd CPU load for about 10 seconds, then things are OK. The screen never
freezes at that time or at any other moment.

When I add vm-pageout-throttling.patch from -mm, the CPU load in the beginning
is somewhat less constant but remains there.

While it would be nice to fix the high CPU load, the system is usable as it
is.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik