Re: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 22:06:49 EST

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:

- Ask Voluspa to do

echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swap_token_timeout

on 2.6.10-rc3 and retest.

He did, and I did (but I have not sent my report to lkml). In both cases, screen freezes remained but were now less in duration (up to 10-20 sec). In mu case I also monitored CPU loading and the big load peaks were there (the biggest one was in the beginning).

(We still don't know why it chews tons of CPU, do we?)

It does! Any way to dig into this?

I still suspect the thrash token patch even with the swap token timeout at 0. Is it completely disabled at 0 or does it still do something?

Con