Re: [ck] 2.6.7 backport request, spinoff idea

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 19:44:15 EST

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Con Kolivas wrote:

Actually I wonder if the swap token is responsible in 2.6.10-rc3

Try this
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swap_token_timeout

Well, this makes things really better, although not as good as 2.6.8.1. There are kswapd cpu jumps and screen freezes, but they only last several seconds (the longest is in the very beginning, about 15-20 sec).

Thanks! This makes the system much more useable.

This is worth posting to lkml so I've cc'ed a few relevant people (there is already a thread about this there). Rik care to comment? I recall pointing out this test case a while back. Got any way to make it harder to trigger the swap token? It seems to affect normal workloads adversely considering how rare swap thrashing actually occurs.

Con