Re: New System call & Kernel compilation

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 09:32:22 EST

>> After adding a new system call, should we have to
>> recompile the whole kernel? can anyone help me
>> regarding this?
>
>You do not need to do a 'make clean'. Simply executing make will suffer
>since kbuild has track of all dependencies.
>
>Assuming 2.6 kernel!

Even in 2.4 you do not need make clean. make dep should suffice if you changed
some includes.

I dislike how many FAQs and tutorials always add "do a make clean"... that
requires you to recompile everything (read: may take "some time", when in
practice you only need a few things (i'm speaking generally, any app is
considered).

Jan Engelhardt
--
ENOSPC