Re: ip=dhcp problem...

From: Martin Josefsson
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 07:25:32 EST

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 13:10, Charles-Henri Collin wrote:

> >The fix is to make sure you have a nameserver in your /etc/resolv.conf
> >The kernel has no idea how to resolve names into addresses. That's a
> >userspace thing. I'm not sure if you can extract the dhcp info from the
> >kernel after the boot, otherwise you'll just have to run a userspace
> >dhcp client, I use dhclient.
> >

> i should put a /etc/resolv.conf.... but i dont want, for "dark reasons" ;)
> if i have a /etc/resolv.conf, what's the point in querying the dhcp
> server for a nameserver???
> i thought this would set linux a nameserver in case no /etc/resolv.conf
> was find.
> btw, i can't dhclient has i'm nfs-rooting. doing this breaks my
> connection with the nfs server and i lose / !!!!!
> i'm working on it.
> thanks anyway

I use FAI (http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/) to install servers
here. They use ip=dhcp in order to have nfs-root, then they run dhclient
in order to get dns and to maintain the lease correctly (not sure the
kernel does this for you). I don't loose contact with the nfs server,
works just fine.

--
/Martin