Re: 2.6.10-rc3-mm1-V0.7.33-03 and NVidia wierdness, withworkaround...

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 11:21:33 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:26 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> (Yes, I know NVidia is evil and all that.. If you're not Ingo or NVidia,
> consider this "documenting the workaround" ;)
>
> For reasons I can't explain, the NVidia module won't initialize
> correctly with V0-0.7.33-03 if built with CONFIG_SPINLOCK_BKL. It however
> works fine with CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL, changing nothing else in the config.
> It also works fine with 2.6.10-rc3-mm1 without Ingo's patch.

You were able to get the NVidia driver to work? Most of my machines have
the NVidia card (yes evil, but I like them) and I haven't been able to
get them to work on the rc3-mm1 (and a few earlier). Grant you, I didn't
try hard, but I did try a little on V0.7.33-0, and gave up later.

How did you get by the...

1) pgd_offset_k_is_obsolete (not too hard, just a few patches for me)
2) class_simple_create and friends going to GPL (I just removed the GPL
from my code)
3) for Ingo's patches only, the might_sleep in the os_interface section.
having interrupts turned off. (here's where mine failed, I tried saving
and restoring them, turning them on that is, backwards from the normal
local_irq_save, and it would just be unstable here).

Do you have it working for the 2.6.10-rc3-mm1 without Ingo's patches?

Thanks,

-- Steve