Re: debugfs in the namespace

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 20:18:29 EST

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Greg KH wrote:

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:08:05AM +0100, Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Greg KH wrote:
Disadvantage:
- it puts a non-process type thing into /proc which is what I am
specifically trying to get away from doing.

Only process related things _should_ be in /proc. Now if I can ever
fully achieve that goal in my lifetime is something that is left to be
seen...

Ok, probably - but who said this?

Well, if you can't find it written down anymore, here, I'll give you a
quote:
"/proc should only be for process related things."
- Greg Kroah-Hartman, December 16, 2004

IIRC there is no standard describing what should be in proc and what
should not.

We have one now, see above :)

Thanks, I needed that! :)

I do not think that after so many years of storing everyting in /proc
there is any chance that you will remove all not [0-9]* dirs and files
from /proc before the sun will stop lighting... :-)

Hey, everyone needs a windmill to chase after to define their life's
purpose...

Ok, you are kernel and Gentoo developer - you are right by definition. :)

And polluting / with proc, sys, dev, selinux, debug and who knows what
else is at least equally bad.

Why? Each location is defined to have one, specific, well defined thing
there that people can count on (or not count on in the case of /debug.)

Because in short time we will end with / occupying >1 page of console - and it will be bad in my opinion. Besides do we really need that many fses - each for exporting kernel data to userspace? This is at least strange. Why can not /dev, /selinux be merged into /sys (ok, maybe there should be symlinks in /dev to devices in right device directory in /sys). Why debugfs can not live in /sys - for example in /sys/debug? What is wrong with one value per file and debugfs?

And I have also other question: Where can I find some info about using /sys (in kernel) and some small note about its implementation and overhead (cpu and memory)?

Thanks,

Grzegorz Kulewski