Re: arch/xen is a bad idea

From: Philip R Auld
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 17:37:08 EST

Rumor has it that on Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:00:52PM +0000 Ian Pratt said:

> I think we'd then have to make a decision as to whether merging
> i386 and xen/i386 is feasible. Further, we'd have to make a
> decision as to whether what is really wanted is a single kernel
> that's able to boot-time switch between native i386 and xen,
> rather than just having a single source base. The two options
> would probably result in rather different implementations.

The boot-time switch seems to be the ideal. This would allow
enterprise Linux vendors to support using Xen w/o having to
deal with a whole archicture release (including install kernel
etc.). One of the (really strong IMO) arguments for full
virtualization methods is beinag able to run stock OSes.
At least for Linux guests, a Xen merge with the boot-time
option would remove that argument.

Of course, the resultant kernel changes would need to have no
measurable impact on native i386... and be possible...

Cheers,

Phil