Re: Linux 2.6.10-rc2 start_udev very slow

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 16:48:56 EST

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:20:33PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> On Thursday 16 Dec 2004 21:11, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > Then I don't really know what to recommend. As the udev startup logic
> > is very tightly tied to how the distro is set up, I recommend using
> > whatever they do, and ignore what I say :)
>
> They is me; My distro is Rubyx :)

Heh, ok. Then stick with what you are doing, as long as you rely on
udevstart to create your device nodes, and not try to do it with a bash
script (which is what the original start_udev did), you should be fine.

> > > Is that list of 'extra nodes not exported by sysfs likely to change?'
> >
> > What does that list contain?
>
> make_extra_nodes () {
> # there are a few things that sysfs does not export for us.
> # these things go here (and remember to remove them in
> # remove_extra_nodes()
> #
> # Thanks to Gentoo for the initial list of these.
> ln -snf /proc/self/fd $udev_root/fd
> ln -snf /proc/self/fd/0 $udev_root/stdin
> ln -snf /proc/self/fd/1 $udev_root/stdout
> ln -snf /proc/self/fd/2 $udev_root/stderr
> ln -snf /proc/kcore $udev_root/core

Those aren't nodes, they are symlinks. No way for udev to know about
them :)

> mkdir $udev_root/pts
> mkdir $udev_root/shm

Subdirs for mounting file systems on, again, no way udev can know about
them.

So, it looks like udev is really creating every device node you need.

thanks,

greg k-h