Re: slow OOM killing with 2.6.9?

From: Chris Ross
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 06:56:15 EST

Chris Friesen escreveu:
I've got a ppc box with 2GB of ram, running 2.6.9.

If I run a few instances of memory chewing programs, eventually the OOM-killer kicks in. At that point, the machine locks up for about 10 seconds while deciding what to kill.

OOM killing is known to be broken in 2.6.9, specifically it kills things even when the machine isn't out of memeory and/or kills the "wrong" things when it is. See threads assim for more details.

The OOM Killer is working properly again in 2.6.10-rc2-mm4. Could you try that kernel and report whether it fixed your problems too?

Regards,
Chris R.