Re: bind() udp behavior 2.6.8.1

From: Adam Denenberg
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 15:21:57 EST

sorry for any confusion, but i am not referring to the Identification
field in the IP header but rather the "Transaction ID" field in the DNS
query portion of the packet. I can reproduce this behavior on our linux
system where if i pump gethostbyname_r requests on the system at some
point it will reuse a transaction id in the DNS request. This is my
lastest discovery in what is causing the requests to fail thru the
firewall. So far my research has not turned up any reason as to why the
kernel would be re-using a transaction ID in the dns request.

The ip IDentification field is uniquely generated as it should be, just
not the Transaction ID field of the dns portion of the packet.

adam

Please CC me as I am not on this list.