Re: unregister_ioctl32_conversion and modules. ioctl32 revisited.

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 08:53:36 EST

On Middeweken 15 Dezember 2004 12:42, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> +       /* The two calls ioctl_native and ioctl_compat described below
> +        * can be used as a replacement for the ioctl call above. They
> +        * take precedence over ioctl: thus if they are set, ioctl is
> +        * not used.  Unlike ioctl, BKL is not taken: drivers manage
> +        * their own locking. */

I don't really understand how this should deal with drivers that have
both generic and private ioctl conversion handlers. E.g.
drivers/s390/block/dasd*.c want to go through the handlers in
fs/compat_ioctl.c for stuff like BLKGETSIZE, while it also allows
third party modules to dynamically register additional ioctls.
See drivers/s390/block/dasd_cmb.c for an example, I think EMC are
doing something similar to support their drives.

If the dasd driver now implements an ioctl_compat() method, who will
call the standard conversion handlers?

Arnd <><