Re: unregister_ioctl32_conversion and modules. ioctl32 revisited.

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 03:30:29 EST

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 10:21:28AM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > 2. As noted by Juergen Kreileder, the compat hash does not work
> > > for ioctls that encode additional information in the command, like this:
> > >
> > > #define EVIOCGBIT(ev,len) _IOC(_IOC_READ, 'E', 0x20 + ev, len)
> > >
> > > I post the patch (updated for 2.6.10-rc2, boots) that I built for
> > > Juergen, below. If there's interest, let me know.
> >
> > Patch looks good to me, except for some messed up white space
> > that is probably easily fixed.
>
> I did try so .. Where? :)

Most of it actually. But perhaps your mailer just messed up the patch?

Anyways, if there are no negative comments I would recommend you
submit your patch (preferably in a non messed up form) to akpm@xxxxxxxx
for inclusion into -mm*. The other parts of the proposal (converting
the existing users and deprecating register_ioctl32_conversion) could be
attacked then.

There is also some related work that could be done easily then,
e.g. the network stack ioctls currently drop the BKL as first thing.
With ioctl_native that could be probably done better. There may
be other such low hanging fruit areas too.

-Andi