Re: XFS: inode with st_mode == 0

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 20:14:32 EST

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:54:14PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> If it's really st_mode I suspect it's a different problem. Can you retry
> with current oss.sgi.com CVS (or the patch below). Note that this patch
> breaks xfsdump unfortunately, we're looking into a fix.

I'm running plain 2.6.9 plus the patch you sent now.

So far, the server hasn't hosed itself (and it's been running for almost
half an hour - woohoo)

Now I can check out CVS trees without getting files with weird ownership
and undeletable directories (which as *extremely* common before - in
fact, earlier today before I applied the patch, I was unable to complete
a cvs checkout of a moderately large software project).

I guess this is a thumbs up for your patch so far :)

> > > Maybe some data is flushed in an incorrect order?
> >
> > Maybe :)
>
> No, the problem I've fixed was related to XFS getting the inode version
> number wrong - or at least different than NFSD expects.

I have seen problems that your patch probably won't fix (like
undeletable directories randomly occuring on ext3 filesystems as well -
seems that once the dcache gets confused, it *really* gets confused).

Let's see how the box fares with your patch - I'll report back on new
bugs as I find them.

--

/ jakob