Re: How to get the whole information dumped from kernel

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 11:23:26 EST

Park Lee wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 at 10:53, Linus Torvalds wrote:

- for one-off things where you don't want to go to
the bother, but
just want to find one problem, you can do:
[snipped] - disable CONFIG_CALLSYM, which makes the oops
much harder to
read, but also more compact. Then look up the
addresses by hand
with "gdb vmlinux" or use the ksymoops program.
In /usr/src/linux/.config, we can see that
"CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y" is included in the General setup
section like the following: #
# General setup
#
CONFIG_SWAP=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_AUDIT=y
CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL=y
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=17
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
# CONFIG_IKCONFIG is not set
# CONFIG_EMBEDDED is not set
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_FUTEX=y
CONFIG_EPOLL=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_AS=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
But, when we run 'make menuconfig', we can only see
that the General setup section only contains the
following items:
[*] Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap)

[*] System V IPC [*] POSIX Message Queues [*] BSD Process Accounting [*] Sysctl support [*] Auditing support [*] Enable system-call auditing support (17) Kernel log buffer size (16 => 64KB, 17 =>
128KB) [*] Support for hot-pluggable devices [ ] Kernel .config support [ ] Configure standard kernel features (for small
systems) --->

Right here, press Y and the press Enter and more options
(including KALLSYMS) will appear for you to make.

[*] Optimize for size Then, It seems that there is no place to disable
CONFIG_KALLSYMS (i.e. turn 'CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y' to
'CONFIG_KALLSYMS is not set'), How can I turn off the
'CONFIG_KALLSYMS' item?? Is CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y set
automatically by system?

--
~Randy