Re: Linux - open design??

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 00:02:53 EST

On Dec 13, 2004, at 23:01, ram mohan wrote:
Hi All,
When we say Linux is open source and we have the sites
where we can download the source from, why is not
linux design (High Level and Low Level) not that well
publicised? (Or is it that I am not aware of - in
which case I would like to know where it is.)
I am looking for a traceability matrix- where I start
with requirements of Linux, dig into the
design(HLD/LLD) and then the source.

Well, generally the linux architecture changes so fast that any such documents
become nearly immediately out of date and useless. There is some really good
_current_ stuff in the Documentation directory of whatever kernel sources you've
got, if you want to take a look, but that's about it. There are a number of sites that
document some of the simpler API's, but the complex stuff just changes too much
for that kind of thing to be useful. Oh, and BTW, concerning a traceability matrix,
generally it doesn't really exist except for proprietary software. Linux design is
not "requirements-based" as commercial software is, it's "I-want-this-feature-bad-
-enough-to-code-it-and-get-it-included-based". I suspect that companies like
IBM internally have requirements-based systems to organize their employees
into various tasks, but publicly there is no such system, aside from "It's broken
and I fixed it with this patch:".

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett