Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.32-15

From: Mark_H_Johnson
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 15:14:16 EST

A comparison of PREEMPT_RT (no tracing) to PREEMPT_DESKTOP
(no tracing) to help answer previous requests.

Comparison of .32-20RT and .32-20PK results
20RT has PREEMPT_RT (all tracing disabled)
20PK has PREEMPT_DESKTOP and no threaded IRQ's (all tracing disabled)
2.4 has lowlat + preempt patches applied

within 100 usec
CPU loop (%) Elapsed Time (sec) 2.4
Test RT PK RT PK | CPU Elapsed
X 99.87 99.75 65 * 59 * | 97.20 70
top 99.35 99.97 31 * 30 * | 97.48 29
neto 96.94 98.65 113 * 135 * | 96.23 36
neti 97.05 98.59 119 * 140 * | 95.86 41
diskw 94.36 91.69 30 * 70 * | 77.64 29
diskc 93.85 98.88 98 * 151 * | 84.12 77
diskr 99.39 99.92 133 * 210 * | 90.66 86
total 589 795 | 368
[higher is better] [lower is better]
* wide variation in audio duration
+ long stretch of audio duration "too fast"

With the two versions of -20, they are quite similar in the
percentage of CPU loop duration within 100 usec of nominal.

Looking at ping response time:
RT 0.134 / 0.208 / 1.502 / 0.075 msec
PK 0.089 / 0.159 / 0.467 / 0.047 msec
for min / average / max / mdev values. You can see that
-20PK does much better than -20RT in this measure.

The maximum duration of the CPU loop (as measured by the
application) is in the range of 1.42 msec to 2.57 compared
to the nominal 1.16 msec duration for -20RT. The equivalent
numbers for -20PK are 1.28 to 1.93 msec. Its a little odd
that the big outlier for -20PK was during the X 11 stress
test. Its chart was one of the smoothest (less variation)
than the others.

I repeated the test without cpu_burn (non RT, nice) for the
20PK kernel as well. For -20PK, all the elapsed times were
reduced [as I expected for both RT and PK] and with exception
of the network tests, were roughly the same as the 2.4 results.

-20RT
with cpu_burn 65 31 113 119 30 98 133
without cpu_burn 63 30 121 150 32 87 97
-20PK
with cpu_burn 59 30 135 140 70 151 210
without cpu_burn 62 30 94 60 27 89 93

I reran the 2.4 tests and the network tests ran in 39 and 37
seconds respectively. I guess this shows we have something odd
going on in the network stack under 2.6.

--Mark H Johnson
<mailto:Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>