Re: Unknown Issue.

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 12:06:59 EST

My first thought is that perhaps the filesystem has shut down due to some error (memory corruption, bad disk, xfs bug...); did you check your log messages?

Justin, when you mentioned that you used xfs' fsck, I guess you used xfs_repair. Was the log clean when you ran it, or did you force repair to zero out the log? That could explain the large lost+found/ when you were done...

Patrick, can you reproduce on a non-gentoo kernel? That'd be the first step for this audience.

-Eric

Piszcz, Justin Michael wrote:
Patrick,

I had the same problem on two machines with XFS. Both slackware-current
machines. The kernel on the Dell GX1 was built with GCC-3.4.2 and on my
main box was GCC-3.4.3.

There seems to be a bug in XFS with some configurations of 2.6.9 and
2.6.10-rc series.

After re-installing Slackware-10.0 and upgrading to -current, I have
installed 2.6.10-rc3 and so far, I have not been able to reproduce the
problem.

Some questions for you:

1] What kernel are you running?
2] What did you last change before you started getting these errors?

As far as severity goes, I ran XFS' fsck from a KNOPPIX CD and as a
result, I had about 500-600mb of files in my /lost+found directory when
it was finished. Files were missing from all parts of the file system.
I had to restore from backup. I would say stick with your previous
2.6.9 configuration (if you were running it) or go back to 2.6.8.1, some
2.6.9 configurations and 2.6.10-rc1 and/or 2.6.10-rc2 definitely cause
file corruption with XFS. So far, however, I have not been able to
reproduce the error with 2.6.10-rc3.

Justin.