Re: ide-cd problem revisited - more brainpower needed

From: Alan Chandler
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 19:18:19 EST

On Friday 10 December 2004 23:14, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Gwe, 2004-12-10 at 21:32, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > All the above output is a result of the command (as root) using linux
> > 2.6.10-rc2 (with acpi turned off to avoid that bug)Â
>
> Is local apic enabled ?

I don't understand what you mean

> > So what do I do next? Why would the hardware work this way - is it a bug
> > in the firmware?, is there a subtle timing problem causing interrupts to
> > re-enter... should I just junk the hardware and start again? Help!
>
> A purely armwaving guess of the moment is that if the IRQ routing is
> confused over edge versus level trigger then you would see extra
> interrupts. Does the drive work in another PC (I forget if you tried
> that)

I am doing all this at home on a personal level, so I am somewhat restricted.

My normal CDRW machine is an Athlon 2100+ running on an Elite K7S5A
motherboard.

I have a server running Celeron 1.7G and PlatiniX (Intel 845 Chipset)
motherboard. I moved the CDRW over to it and tried it. I didn't have time to
build a special version of the system for it, and its running debian sarge
with 2.6.8.1. It failed to work, the symptoms were similar but slightly
different.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx