Re: Improved console UTF-8 support for the Linux kernel?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 17:27:17 EST

On Saturday 11 December 2004 16:39, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>Indeed is weird. Are you sure you keyboard is generating an UTF-8
>>enconded "ö"? Just check it with echo:
>>
>>$ echo -n ö | od -t x1
>>
>>0000000 c3 b6
>>0000002
>
>Yes it does generate 0xC3B6 (otherwise it would show up as garbage,
> because it would not be utf8-compliant if it only output 0xF6)

Which is exactly (0xF6) what I'm getting. Kernel version
2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.32-18

As an american, I've often wondered how to go about getting those
accented characters out of a std american keyboard. I used to be
able to get all those accented and other stuffs out of my amiga's
keyboard, stuff like the Beta sign and so on. No can do now, and I
miss it.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene