Re: Improved console UTF-8 support for the Linux kernel?

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 14:08:57 EST

>> The current UTF-8 keyboard input (for the console) of the Linux kernel
>> does not support "composing" or writing characters with accents.

That's weird, because "Ã" (LATIN O WITH DIAERESIS) -- which clearly lies
outside the 7-bit range, is working on my system without myself poking the
kernel. Both hitting the key or using compose mode. This also applies to
A-with-DIAERESIS, U-with-DIAERESIS, sharp german S, but does not for anything
else, e.g. compose-'-e to generate E with accent aigu.

>Yes, i recently find it out when trying to switch all my system to
>UTF-8. But the patch from Chris you mention below works very well
>for me (and for anybody that needs to type compose characters for
>languages based in the latin1 encoding i guess).
>
>> Is there an interest for re-submission of mentioned patches for
>> inclusion in the kernel (yeah, provided coding style is "normalised")?
>
>At least, I am _really_ interested :)

So am I. I have to use xterm for anything fancy now...
(especially for the even-more fancy stuff that begins at three-byte UTF8
sequences, such as Japanese :-)

Jan Engelhardt
--
ENOSPC