Re: [Announce] Squashfs 2.1 released (compressed filesystem)

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 00:18:22 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:08:37PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the release of Squashfs 2.1.

Are you going to submit this fs for inclusion in the main kernel tree?
I'm getting tired of maintaining it as part of the Gentoo kernel patch
set :)

Good question... When I originally released Squashfs (Oct 2002) the 2.5 kernel had just gone into the feature freeze and I was waiting for the unfreeze that would happen when 2.7 arrived. As the official stance on additions to 2.6 has been relaxed I have thought about submitting it.

I need to tidy up the code a bit before I submit it to the merciless scrutiny of LKML :-) Nothing bad (I hope) but there's lots of long lines and I do know LKML'mers like 80 columns.

I'm planning on adding ea/acl support (people have been asking for them), I can't decide whether to submit it now or wait until I've finished them. Suggestions and advice would be welcome.

Slightly off topic, I've noticed you're the kernel maintainer for Gentoo. You mentioned somewhere you're down to 4 kernel patches, including Squashfs? :) A lot of people/projects are now using Squashfs and it would help a lot of people (and me) if it did get into the kernel. Plus it would be a nice thing for me anyway to have finally got it included.

Regards

Phillip