Re: [audit] Upstream solution for auditing file system objects

From: Timothy Chavez
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 23:38:58 EST

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:42:18 -0500, Robert Love <rml@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 02:50 +0000, Timothy Chavez wrote:
>
> Hi, Timothy. You work for IBM?

Yep.

> > Some way for inotify to "notify" other parts of the kernel of file
> > system activity would be good. This is the arguement I'd like to use.
> > If inotify can notify userspace apps of activity/events, why can't it
> > notify kernel subsystems? There might be a very good reason as to why
> > this can't be so. "Just because" might be it :-) Whatever the reason,
> > it'd be good to hear. I wouldn't want to destroy or degrade the
> > intended use of inotify, but expand it. If that's not doable, then
> > there's no way we can use inotify. This would have to be something
> > John and Rob and whoever else contributes to Inotify would like in
> > addition to the community as a whole.
>
> I do not think it makes any sense for inotify to be the mechanism that
> implements auditing. What you want is a general file event mechanism at
> the level and time that we currently do the inotify hooks. I agree,
> that is good. What you also want is to do is hack into inotify your
> auditing code. I don't like that--I don't want inotify to grow into a
> generic file system tap.

Fair enough. I agree that having something more generic at the hook
level would be ideal. I'm interested in what others might think about
this.

> What we both need, ultimately, is a generic file change notification
> system. This way inotify, dnotify, your audit thing, and whatever else
> can hook into the filesystem as desired.

> Subverting the inotify project to add this functionality now will only
> hurt inotify. We are not yet in the kernel and we need to streamline
> and simplify ourselves, not bloat and featurize. Besides, indeed, we
> are not in the kernel yet--you can just as easily add the hooks
> yourself.

Right, but we like inotify and want to see it succeed :-)! We also
want an upstream solution, so playing nicely is essential.

> So my position would be that I am all for moving the inotify hooks to
> generic file change hooks, but that needs to be done either once inotify
> is in the kernel proper or as a separate project. Then inotify can be
> one consumer of the hooks and auditing another.

It's a reasonable compromise and it'll have to be considered and discussed.

> If you want to move forward with a project to hook file system events,
> go for it. Regardless, I think that you should post to lkml your
> intentions.

Most definately. Thanks for the reply.

--
- Timothy R. Chavez