Re: [RFC] New timeofday proposal (v.A1)

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 20:26:46 EST

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, john stultz wrote:

> Well, ok, you're right. I got my wires twisted and misspoke. Today we
> really don't, since NTP adjustments only occur on tick boundaries. So
> yes, singleshot adjustments are in multiples of ticks right now. But we
> do assume ticks arrive at regular periods. If they don't, well, then we
> apply it for only one ticks worth, but we've lost a tick so we're wrong
> anyway.
>
> The code above, however, can handle non-regular interrupt intervals,
> which is something I think we should assume will occur.

Then we might also assume that we are beyond the technology of the
eighties and that there is some way that hardware can give
us an interrupt at a certain point in the future that will allow us to
change the scaling factor? I think its safe to not do this two scale
stuff. Too complex for the hot code path anyways.