Re: DMA problems with ICH5 in ATA mode

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 11:28:28 EST

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
hi

I have a disk connected to one of the below controllers in ATA mode, but I can't enable DMA on it. Intel ATA support is in kernel, but when hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc I get the following (extracted from strace)

write(4, " HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation "..., 46 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

You either need to (a) disable legacy (combined) mode, (b) use piix rather than generic IDE driver, or (c) enable libata for your SATA.

Jeff